Bob Kucken has been Talk Radio WRNR’s “staff weather guy” for the Eastern Panhandle listening audience since 1986. While Bob enjoys bringing us the highs and lows, sun and storms, radar and satellite news each day, here are some things about Bob that you may not know:
Throughout his meteorological career, Bob’s forecasts have been heard on dozens of stations across America, from northern Michigan to Jackson, Mississippi and from the coasts of the Carolinas to the Rocky Mountains of Colorado and Wyoming. His years of training include SKYWARN severe weather spotter certification, and active reporting in the Community Collaborative Rain, Hail and Snow Network. Both organizations report data directly to NOAA/National Weather Service. The reports become part of the national database of climate information used for later reference, research, and long range climate forecasting.
Bob combined a career in meteorology and broadcasting early on, but has also kept pace with the moves by the communications and media industries into the “digital age”. Radio, print and TV have adapted to include web and mobile distribution, and weather forecasts and data have done the same. Currently as co-Founder and C.O.O – Operations and Marketing at Weather Briefings, Inc., Bob and the team deliver up-to-the-minute, specified and customized weather data to subscribing weather-dependent businesses through the Storm Avenger web and mobile app. Weather Briefings is also researching viability for apps where weather ties to social causes. Apps pertaining to Global Climate Change and weather effects on voter turnout in 2016 are some of what’s “on the radar” for Bob with Weather Briefings.
Bob’s association with the media and advertisers throughout his career has also shown first hand how weather can affect sales and profits in most any business. Longer term weather forecasts often guide, if not determine, decisions for what inventory to carry, services to offer, potential labor and payroll decisions. Bob brings this unique insight to his recently founded modern marketing agency, Spectrum Select Media. SSM is a full spectrum marketing service that reviews all forms of media, market research, information (even weather) to select and customize the best marketing tools for clients.
- Proud Dad of two college educated sons — Alex 22, Marketing/Business – – David, 20, IT/video game design
- love to grill year round, snow or no snow…steaks, chicken, ribs, brats, burgers, even a turkey now and then
- road trips are a lot of fun, as long as you build in the time for numerous short breaks…lower back pain, double espresso & coffee to stay awake, but so many cool local places to pop into
- airplane travel to warm weather resorts with plenty of cold beverages is also very acceptable
- if and when I get another dog, it’s probably a beagle or a basset hound. The house isn’t that big for a larger dog.